Railway Operational Assistant
The position entails working closely with our existing staff and volunteers to ensure the safe, efficient & reliable operation of the Moors Valley Railway. The role requires a person with a passion for railways, who is prepared to work flexibly including weekend shifts.
The role will be diverse and varied during operation of the railway and during maintenance periods. During operating days, the role includes driving our fleet of Steam and Diesel engines, guarding and assisting with the management of the railway. When the railway is not running the successful applicant will be responsible for the maintaining & servicing of the coaches, permanent way and infrastructure of the railway whilst assisting in the upkeep and servicing of the locomotive fleet. The job will include grass cutting and grounds maintenance around the railway and will also assist in the organising, preparation and running of our special events including our Santa Specials. To summarise your responsibilities will include:
- Effective operation of the railway, providing excellent service to our customers.
- Basic maintenance of the rolling stock and permanent way.
- Driving, cleaning and maintaining of Steam and Diesel locomotives.
- Assist in maintenance of Infrastructure and Grounds including grass cutting.
We are looking for someone who can work both in a small team and independently with hands-on practical skills. The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
- A passion for and experience of steam railway operation.
- Practical engineering skills / qualifications.
- Experience of steam train driving is beneficial.
- Administrative ability and IT literacy.
- A personable, well presented and safety conscious person with excellent customer relation skills.
- Sensitive to customer expectations and operational demands.
- Ability to work effectively unsupervised.
- Flexibility and an ability to solve problems.
- Drive and determination to maintain very high standards of Safety and presentation.
We are interested in discussing this position with candidates who would like the role either full time or someone who would like part time work. We value our staff and are looking for the right person to join our small team. Full training will be provided where necessary.
If you are interested in this role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you an application pack.
Our dedicated team of staff and volunteers provide the backbone of our operation here at Moors Valley Railway.
They fulfil many roles around the railway and we have a wide variety of staff and volunteers from different backgrounds and ages. We provide equal opportunities for everyone and provide training applicable to the role.
All we ask is a commitment for an agreed number of days per year and in return you can become part of our family here at Moors Valley Railway. You can meet new friends, learn new skills and help make our railway even better.
Our volunteer roles* include:
Locomotive Department – our volunteers start as cleaners, progress to being a guard and then subject to passing the relevant exams can work their way up to a passed driver.
Workshop – our regular volunteers perform a number of skilled roles in our workshop, and we have a number of retired engineers who attend on a regular basis.
General – we have many roles including locomotive, coach and track maintenance, S&T, general maintenance and gardening.
*Most roles require our volunteers to be aged 18 or above. Minimum age is 13 and they must be accompanied by a parent/guardian at all times.